TICKETS NOW ON SALE!
Are you interested in taking a crash course in homesteading? Want to get hands on experience and valuable information that you can’t find anywhere online?
Join us on May 14 & 15, 2021, at Rory Feek’s Hardison Mill Homestead in Columbia, TN for an intensive weekend of workshops, in-depth lectures, and a homesteading community experience like no other.
Hardison Mill Homestead
4544 HIGHWAY 431
Columbia, Tennessee 38401
Looking for a place to stay during the conference? Check out our Lodging & Travel Page for hospitality in the Columbia area!
Only 350 Seats Available the Entire Weekend!
Must Buy a Ticket Online!
Each attendee will receive a signed copy of The Great American Farm Tour by Justin Rhodes!
$350 – BASIC ticket
Only 250 spots available!
(includes lunch both days and dinner on Saturday*)
> > $425 – VIP ticket < <
Only 50 spots available!
(includes all the above PLUS a seat at the private round-table discussion with workshop teachers)
$125 Kids Ticket
Only 50 spots available!
(includes lunch both days and dinner on Saturday*)
Limited to Ages 5 to 10
Children over the age of 10 will require an adult ticket.
VIP TICKET HOLDERS GET ACCESS TO A ROUND TABLE DISCUSSION WITH 50 OTHER STUDENTS DURING THE EVENT. THIS IS A GREAT TIME TO GET IN-DEPTH Q&A WITH SPEAKERS, BOUNCE IDEAS OFF OTHER ATTENDEES, AND MORE!
Here’s what you can expect at the event:
- 2-hour intensive workshops, demonstrations, and lectures
- Access to teachers for Q&A time during their lecture
- Hands-on demonstrations, where you get to learn visually by DOING, not just seeing
- Lunch included both days (Meals included with the tickets will be catered; Food purchased from food truck vendors are not included in the price of the tickets.)
- Dinner included on Saturday night (a pig roast with other students, teachers, sponsors, and friends!) You must RSVP to this event at checkout.
- A Friday and Saturday night concert with songwriter friends! You must RSVP to this event at checkout.
- An amazing time of fellowship and community with likeminded individuals from all walks of life!
…..and so much more!
*YOU MUST RSVP FOR THE FRIDAY NIGHT CONCERT AND FOR DINNER ON SATURDAY NIGHT
We are so excited about this intimate and community experience with teachers and students. While our annual big event is amazing, this smaller event will allow you to learn in-depth, intentionally, and efficiently, as you won’t have to compete with thousands of other questions or attendees.
A full schedule is coming soon, but below are some classes we already have scheduled. Most of these workshops will be in 2-hour intensive learning time blocks. They will either be lecture style, with intensive powerpoint presentations and Q&A time, or they will be intensive lecture with demonstrations that you get to be involved in!
And by hands on, we mean HANDS-ON!
- Butcher Hardison Mill Homestead’s first broilers of the season alongside Joel Salatin (yes, really!)
- See an operating pastured layer flock in action with Justin Rhodes
- Take a nature hike and learn how to incorporate herbalism and wild foraging with Darryl Patton
- Set up an actual garden (yes, planting, digging, and more) with Melissa K. Norris
- Learn how to can and preserve food with Ann Accetta-Scott through water bath and pressure canning
- Go in-depth with the family milk cow with Shawn & Beth Dougherty.
…. and more!
Each attendee gets to pick and choose which classes they want to take. You don’t have to sign up for a particular class!
KIDSTEADERS & THE ONE-ROOM-SCHOOLHOUSE
During the event we will host 50 children who will learn, grow, and experience education like never before. Nestled on the Hardison Mill Homestead is a one-room-schoolhouse where children in the community attend school every week. You may have watched it live this year while schooling at home!
At the event, children will get to participate in the one-room-schoolhouse setting. They’ll learn how to be kidsteaders! This is the perfect homeschool opportunity.
During the event we’ll also talk about alternative education for children, including homeschooling, and even the one-room-schoolhouse set up during adult lectures.
PLEASE NOTE that we are limiting the ages for the kid classes from ages 5 to 10. This helps us keep kids involved and in an educational setting, and makes sure we aren’t chasing around littles all day!
- Children may not attend Kidsteader classes without a signed waiver. Volunteers will have copies available to sign if you have not sent one in ahead of time.
- Parents or Guardian must sign children in and out every time the child is dropped off and picked up.
- Parents or Guardian must be available at all times their children are attending Kidsteader classes and able to pick their children up if an issue arises.
- Tickets are non-refundable and refunds will not be given for children who are unable to attend due to behavioral issues.
Here’s a peek at some of our teachers:
• RAISING BROILERS FROM START TO FINISH
• BEEF: FROM PASTURE TO PLATE
Learn how to raise broiler chickens on your homestead in any setting. An in-depth lecture with the chicken king himself, you’ll get access to an in-depth lecture, Q&A, access to the teacher for any questions you have, and more. After the lecture, you’ll get your very own chicken to butcher (if you want to), and work alongside Joel and other students as you process Hardison Mill Homestead’s first batch of chickens for the season!
Learn all about raising beef on your homestead. How to do it, why you should do it, and more. This will be an intensive 2-hour in-depth lecture with Joel, with Q&A time for any questions you may have!
• SETTING UP A LAYER FLOCK (FROM SUBURBAN TO HOBBY FARM)
• PERMACULTURE: SETTING UP YOUR BEST HOMESTEAD
An in-depth and intensive lecture from Justin will have you confident in your ability to raise the best layer flock you’ve ever had. Whether you live on a half-acre in suburbia, or want to sell eggs from your homestead with a larger pasture system set up. This workshop will teach you all about setting up a laying flock. You’ll also tour Hardison Mill Homestead’s large pasture raising system. Including Q&A time for any questions you may have!
Learn how to create your best homestead with permaculture, during this in-depth, intensive lecture from Justin! Including Q&A time for any questions you may have!
• SETTING UP YOUR GARDEN | GROWING A YEAR’S WORTH OF FOOD
During this intensive workshop, weather permitting, you’ll get your hands in the dirt alongside Melissa and learn how to plant a garden! Learn about crop rotation, different gardening methods, how to transplant, how to plant seeds, and ultimately, how to grow a year’s worth of food on your homestead. This is a very hands on and interactive lecture weather permitting, but if the weather doesn’t work well, it will become a very in-depth lecture on the same topic, with lots of Q&A either way!
• THE FAMILY MILK COW
• ROTATIONAL GRAZING (STATIONARY & MOBILE FENCING)
Discover the necessities and benefits to having your very own family milk cow on the homestead in this 2-hour intensive lecture, and maybe even a milk cow demo!
In this hands-on and interactive 2-hour intensive, Shawn and Beth will show you how to set up stationary and mobile fencing, as well as walk you through regenerative practices, benefits, and more of rotational grazing.
• PRESERVING THE HARVEST
Has canning ever seemed intimidating to you? In this 2-hour intensive lecture and demonstration, you’ll learn how to can your own food—whether water bath or pressure canning. Ann will take all of the fear out of preserving the harvest, and build up your confidence that you CAN do this!
• RAISING MEAT RABBITS ON THE HOMESTEAD
Meat rabbits are an incredible source of meat on your homestead, even if you live on a very small homestead! Jeremy will be teaching you during an in-depth 2-hour lecture, and then through demonstrations of meat rabbit processing. You’ll even get to be involved during the processing if you’d like to be!
• Beekeeping 101
Want to add bees to your homestead? Kaylee from The Honeystead will teach you how to efficiently get your bees set up in this intensive 2-hour lecture with the possibility of hands-on learning with active hives! Don’t worry, we’ll have a bee suit for you!
• Getting Started with Herbalism on the Homestead
Join herbalist, Darryl Patton, as he talks about herbalism, how to get started, some of his favorite remedies and methods, and more. He’ll also take you on a nature walk to teach you about wild foraging and nature’s medicine!
MORE SPEAKERS AND LECTURES COMING SOON!
Hardison Mill Homestead is about 45 mins south of Nashville, just 5 miles off I-65.
The address is: 4544 Highway 431, Columbia, TN 38401.
The closest airport is the Nashville International Airport.
There are lots of hotel options nearby. These are just a few:
- FAIRFIELD INN & SUITES: 1545 Halifax Dr, Columbia, TN 38401 | (931) 548-8444
- COMFORT INN: 1544 Bear Creek Pike, Columbia, TN 38401 | (931) 388-2500
- SLEEP INN: 1605 Harley Davidson Blvd, Columbia, TN, 38401 | (931) 548-2900
- RED ROOF INN: 1548 Bear Creek Pike, Columbia, TN 38401 (931) 381-1410
- HAMPTON INN: 1551 Halifax Drive, Columbia, TN 38401 (931-540-1222)
- RV parking is available at Henry Horton State Park and other spots nearby (see below).
We do NOT have RV hookups at Hardison Mill farms or at Homestead Hall. Check out nearby places that offer this service.
- Campers RV Park: 1792 Bear Creek Pike Columbia, TN 38401 931-381-4112
- Henry Horton State Park – 4209 Nashville Hwy Chapel Hill, TN 37034 931-364-2222
- Rory’s family-owned cafe MARCY JO’S MEALHOUSE is only a mile away. Their hours are: Monday – Sunday: 7 am – 2 pm, Friday Nights: 5 pm – 8 pm
- If you visit downtown Columbia during your trip, be sure to visit MARCY JO’S MULETOWN at 105 E. 6th St. Columbia, TN 38401 — Open Mon-Sun: 7:00 am – 2 pm
- There’s also a Cracker Barrel and other restaurant options within a few miles at the Interstate exit.
Reserve Your Weekend Pass
We are currently accepting Vendor Applications for this event. Learn more about sharing becoming a vendor and a link for the application HERE.
Partner with Homesteaders of American to sponsor the Learn How to Homestead in a Weekend event! View our Sponsorship Packet for more information.
Please note that in purchasing your ticket, you submit to the possibility of being recorded during the event. Also, Homesteaders of America LLC nor Hardison Mill Homestead are held liable for any health issues, injuries, or acts of God during the event.
HOA REFUND POLICY: No refunds on ticket sales.