Notifications
Clear all

Homestead adventure

Cody Williamson
(@cody-williamson)

Hey everyone! My name is Cody and I live in the Texas Gulf Coast. Follow along with me as I make my back yard into a self sustaining farm land! I’ll take you along with me through my ups and downs of making my dream a reality! 

Topic starter Posted : 04/09/2021 7:35 pm
Cody Williamson
(@cody-williamson)

Well, it seems that at least 3 people have viewed my post! let me tell you a little more about my project. I live in a subdivision out in the county, it's just a rural community with very relaxed (for the most part) rules. This year I decided to start a small garden, the first garden was killed off in a small flood just as it was getting somewhere.. Not to be defeated, I decided to start again. The new garden is about twice the size with a lot of new upgrades and is doing GREAT!! Once the new garden decided to work with me I decided that I needed to do more! I installed a rainwater collection system that can hold a little over 1000 gallons! This has helped out greatly as you can imagine for watering the garden. If there's one thing about me, I still wanted more! I decided to purchase 3 more raised bed garden beds for a total of 4. currently only one is in use and is growing corn. But now I have a new goal! I want to add 4 more raised beds for a total of 8 raised beds all of which are 4ft X 8ft X 12in. My goal for 2022 is to grow as much of my own food as I can, anything extra I will build a small farmers market kios at the end of my driveway for the community to come to get, and ill put a QR code to my cashapp and Venmo in the event that someone wants to make a donation. Any donations will go back into the project! I will also be raising 15 chickens and selling eggs to the community. Again this money will go back into my project. I will do my best to keep an exact tally of all the money spent and income and will share it with anyone that wants it, my hope is to break even. Keep in mind this is not my full-time job and am not looking to make money off of it but I do think it would be cool to break even on it and lighten my grocery bill every month.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/09/2021 12:40 am
Casey Salmon
(@casey-salmon)

@cody-williamson hey we are new members howdy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2021 9:52 pm
Cody Williamson
(@cody-williamson)

@casey-salmon howdy! I’m new here too! Just decided to run with it! 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 10/09/2021 9:54 pm
Cody Williamson
(@cody-williamson)

Well…. Hurricane Nicholas made landfall early this morning roughly 10 miles from my house as the crow flys…… I have no power and have not been able to sleep due to the howling wind and the constant sound of things snapping outside. I have not flooded thankfully. However, during a break in the rain I went outside and my gardens are all ruined. My rain water collection system has been ripped off the house and there’s debris everywhere. I haven’t been able to do a full  Survey of the property yet but for the most part the house and garage are fine. I think I’m most upset about my gardens. All my corn is gone, tomato plants are destroyed, potato plants are all but gone and my jalapeño plants are MIA….. like gone gone…. Ripped right out the ground and flew away…  well….. at least I got my health right? Ugh

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/09/2021 5:15 am
Share: