Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Hey Hey, Who Are You!?  

RSS
homesteadersofamerica
(@homesteadersofamerica)
Member Admin

Hey ya'll!

This is an incredible opportunity to meet brand new members in this thread! Give them a big homestead welcome, or if you're new, introduce yourself in this thread! Then, head over to the individual states forum board and introduce yourself to homesteaders in your state as well!

Please make sure you read the forum rules in the welcome section before posting. If you have any questions, let us know!

Ready? Let's go! 

Tell us who you are, where you're from, what your homesteading goals are, and more!

Posted : 09/07/2020 9:49 am
Topic Tags
Kiltedgardener
(@kiltedgardener)

Hello everyone I just wanted to say hi, my name is Robert. Some of you may know me as Kiltedgardener through social media. I currently live on about an acre with my wife and 20 month old son. We have a small garden and hope to increase the homestead more in the future! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/07/2020 11:22 pm
Pmclary1540
(@pmclary1540)

Hi, Phil and Sheila McLary, We are from Central Indiana and currently only gardening and preserving our harvest. We are planning to get chickens this next year and more than likely rabbits sooner. We are looking to move to a larger property before long hopefully.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/07/2020 6:38 am
delangp
(@delangp)

Hi! My name is Patti, I live with my husband on .7 acres in northern VT. No animals, but vegetable garden and fruits, also hazelnuts and butternuts. Would like to get meat rabbits, but have a very non-interested spouse so probably won't happen. I am trying to be more sustainable, and to live a simpler life. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/07/2020 10:25 pm
Kim
 Kim
(@kim)

Hello!  My name is Kim, and I'm from a small town east of Lansing, Michigan.  My husband and I are on 2 acres where we garden and raise laying hens, meat birds, a tiny fiber flock, and pigs.  We also have 2 dogs. Yes, we do a lot with our 2 acres, even while working full time!  We've been here 8 1/2 years and our 2 sons are out of the house, so it's just us.  I just retired from teaching, and although I plan to work part time somewhere, I'm looking forward to having more time to devote to homesteading.  I'm very interested in raising meat rabbits to add to our protein supply.  I'm glad to be connected to Homesteaders of America and have learned SO much through this organization.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2020 1:12 pm
SChicHomestead
(@schichomestead)

Hey everyone I'm Katrina Parker from Elberta Alabama where i live with my family on almost 4 acres. We have chickens,  cats , 1 dog and rabbit. We are wanting a male rabbit so we can breed them. I have been gardening all my life but this is the first year I have grown in raised beds. Next year I will be expanding the garden and I want to learn and have a market garden.  I'm so thankful i found homesteaders of America cause I (we) have learned alot. 

If anyone is up for mentoring me I would greatly appreciate it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/07/2020 4:04 pm
Deidre Farnham
(@wylddreamfarm)

I'm Dee from Bangor, ME area. We live on 1.87 acres of land. We have 3 dogs, 2 cats, 2 parakeets, 2 ferrets, a bunny, 9 meat chickens, 5 turkeys, 16 laying hens, a surprise rooster, 3 rogue female ducks, 2 blue swedish ducks, 3 bantam chickens, 2 nigerian dwarf goats, 2 bottle dairy calves (a set of twins we bought off a farmer so the female is sterile), in 2 weeks we are getting a pair of whether Jacob Sheep and we are looking into piglets.  I have 3 perennial flower gardens, small herb garden. Small vegetable garden, annual flower beds and 4 fruit trees. My husband and I are looking for houses with more land so we can expand the farm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/07/2020 11:24 am
Deidre Farnham
(@wylddreamfarm)

@delangp

My son and his girlfriend live in the St. J area. I LOVE visiting VT.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/07/2020 11:25 am
Carl.Mortensen
(@carl-mortensen)

My name is Carl.  My family and I live in Mountain Home Idaho, part of the high desert region of the Snake River plain.  We raise hay to feed our beef and dairy cows, and raise chickens, turkeys, pigs, and alpacas.  I'm very interested in learning about dry land farming techniques and drought resistant crops as water availability is the biggest limiting factor to production in this area.  We've been gardening and adding fruit trees to our orchard in an effort to achieve some level of self-reliance, and teaching the kids how to work hard and too see the results from their efforts.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/08/2020 9:47 am
EJMorgan
(@ejmorgan)

Hello All,

Our names are Eric and Jennifer Morgan. We currently live in Delaware on 3/4 of an acre. We grow veggies and have 10 egg layer dinos. We have 3 daughters (20, 19 & 12). We're currently in the process of planning and moving to Northeast Washington State to our family property of approximately of 2500 acres. Which sounds like a homesteader's paradise, but approximately 98% of the property is dense mountainous forest. We have about 16 acres of usable land and lots of great view. The property has been in our family for 65 years, and since my grandmother passed away in 2018, the land has gone abandoned since then. Under the threat of selling the property because no one in the family wanted anything to do with it, Jen and I decided we couldn't live with the fact of this beautiful property that I grew up with not being in the family for future generations to enjoy as my grandparents intended. So we took the leap and accepted the mantle. We plan to be home by June of 2021. Jen and I have always been into the homesteading lifestyle and practiced it a smidgen in our suburban 3/4 acres. Now it's going to be our life and we're looking to establish a network of homesteaders to learn from and hopefully as an extra added benefit to find folks around us in Northeast Washington. Thanks!

~Eric & Jen     

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2020 11:23 am
Charlotte Hawk
(@chawk70)

Hi there! My husband Mike and I live in a rental property in Southern Maryland. We are really lucky because we rent from a friend and he is totally down with gardens and chickens and hunting(we have enough land for that!). So thats where we are for now. Sometime in the near future we would like to move to a lower COL area with less rules and build an age in place homestead. Any way nice to meet you all!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2020 6:34 pm
thefunkyfarmgirl
(@thefunkyfarmgirl)

Hi! I'm Jenny and I live in China Grove, NC with my husband and three girls. We have just under 3/4 acre on an old cow pasture in a small country neighborhood. We grow lots of herbs and veggies and some flowers and have 15 chickens. We are hoping to add chick incubation and breeding and rabbits for breeding/pets/poop next spring. I have a podcast where I share our journey (The Funky Farm Girl) and encourage those in atypical situations that they can adopt homesteading values without having lots of land or animals.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2020 9:46 pm
Tasha Kelley
(@tashakelley)

Hello everyone! My name is Tasha Kelley and my husband is Sean. We live in Zachary, La and we have just a little over two acres of land. I’m looking forward to seeing how to start our homestead. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2020 9:41 pm
Russelyn Connor
(@russelynconnorgmail-com)

Hi all,

My name is Rusty.  My husband Alan and I live on 10 acres in rural SW Colorado.  We've been homesteading, and growing our own food, since the 1970s, many of those years off-grid.  Currently, we are downsizing our farm, and only have a 1/2 acre garden/orchard, and a bunch of chickens and ducks.  I look forward to hearing what others are doing and what's new in this wonderful sub-culture!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/09/2020 5:56 pm
Naomiwallace
(@naomiwallace)

Hi everyone,

my husband and I are beginning our homestead journey, starting with a small garden on our current property and hopefully moving to somewhere with more land when we can cut back at work, probably a couple of years. But in the meantime we are going to learn as much as we can and we are looking forward to connecting with other homesteaders either locally or further afield. We are based in east Texas 😊

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/09/2020 11:15 pm
Share: