Notifications
Clear all

How to find 1/4 acre of land (Virginia)

Sbosgarden50
(@sbosgarden50)

So,  if I want to look for 1/8 to 1/4 acre of land in Virginia to place a tiny home and have a small flock of ducks/geese and a raised bed  & container gardening combo in the more urban setting  of a particular county, how would I go about doing that?  What publications or online resources could I turn to?   Any leads would be very helpful.  Thanks. 

Topic starter Posted : 15/08/2020 12:59 pm
Alexandra1963
(@alexandra1963)

What area of  VA are you looking at. Lots of farmland in southwestern Virginia but plots are probably more than 1/4 acre.  Wherever you buy check the Zoning restrictions and any other restrictions on the property before you buy. Some areas require a house to be at least a certain size. Land in Blacksburg is high. 

Alexandra

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2020 9:34 pm
Amy K. Fewell
(@amy-k-fewell)
HOA Founder and Admin Admin

Hey there! Lots of cheap land in central to southern virginia. However, there's some beautiful parcels throughout the Shenandoah and Blue Ridge Mountains. I'd look on Realtor . com -- it has all the listings from all realtors.

Founder of Homesteaders of America • Herbalist, Author, Youtuber, Podcaster, and Homestead Mama at The Fewell Homestead • Lover of Simple Things

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/11/2020 10:09 am
mightymolly
(@mightymolly)
Posted by: @sbosgarden50

So,  if I want to look for 1/8 to 1/4 acre of land in Virginia to place a tiny home and have a small flock of ducks/geese and a raised bed  & container gardening combo in the more urban setting  of a particular county, how would I go about doing that?  What publications or online resources could I turn to?   Any leads would be very helpful.  Thanks. 

There are plenty of resources that you may refer to. Some of the most popular and trustworthy being Zillow, trulia and apartment.com. I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for over these platforms

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/01/2021 4:13 am
coramdayo
(@coramdayo)
Posted by: @sbosgarden50

@sbosgarden50    Have you had any luck finding land?  We just moved to Page Valley and I see a fair bit of well-priced land for sale, both in town and out of town.  Did you mean to say you wanted to move to a "more urban setting" or did you mean "rural" instead?  I agree with the other comments that you would need to check the regulations on the particular piece of land you were looking to purchase.  Some might be classified as Residential and allow, say, chickens, but might limit the number you can have and might disallow roosters.  Or, the land might be classified as Agricultural and thereby permit pretty much any animal you might want to have.  I know my husband (a broker/realtor of 35 years) has helped many people purchase properties like you are looking for.  In his experience, however, even if the county or town that the property is located within allows certain animals, you will want to be sure that there are also no covenants attached to the land that prohibit what the county/town might allow.  Trust me, it happens!  I'd definitely reach out to an experienced real estate agent.  Searching online places like realtor.com and Zillow is great but you might get a hold of a newbie agent that has no clue about these types of details and then end up buying a place and start developing your plans only to find out after the fact that you are restricted from doing so.  Good luck!  I wish you the best!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2021 2:07 pm
Sbosgarden50
(@sbosgarden50)

@coramdayo wow! Sorry I missed this until now! No, I haven't found anything t but I also haven't been actively looking lately either.  Just setting aside a little $ at a time.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/02/2021 8:16 pm
Share: