Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] 2021 Homestead Homeschool Unit Studies

Amy K. Fewell
(@amy-k-fewell)
HOA Founder and Admin Admin

HOMESTEAD HOMESCHOOL coming soon

Hey friends!

As the 2021 school year plans start falling into place for homesteaders across the nation, over here at HoA, we're working on a very special project for you guys. Homestead Homeschool Unit Studies! Quinn has been diligently working on pulling several printable studies together for you guys, just in time to use this fall. 

However, as we continue to work on topics for the future, we want to know what YOU guys would like to see as far as topics in these unit studies, and future studies!

Topics can range anywhere from gardening, to canning, and even livestock raising. 

Let us know in the comments below what topics you'd like to see us create curriculum studies about!

This topic was modified 3 months ago by Amy K. Fewell

Founder of Homesteaders of America • Herbalist, Author, Youtuber, Podcaster, and Homestead Mama at The Fewell Homestead • Lover of Simple Things

Topic starter Posted : 20/07/2021 11:06 am
Barbara Simeon
(@fourarrowsfarm)

How fun!  So many topics that could be covered!  Of course, let's be honest -- I list these below because I enjoy learning alongside my kids!  And I'm sure I could come up with many many more.

Entrepreneurship

Farm animal anatomy

Composting

Equipment repair

Animal husbandry

Planning and caring for an orchard

Seed starting

Simple garden recipes (eating what you grow)

Getting it all done (i.e., time management/planning)

Sketching for planning out your property

Marketing your small business/homestead

Pest control

Resource management (getting the most out of everything, recycle/repurpose)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2021 12:09 pm
Brendan & Lisa Drennan
(@humblefarm)

Our family would love homeschool homestead unit studies! We have eight children ages Preschool to high school so it would be great to have topics that are versatile to all age levels. We find that learning together as a large family in a "one-room school house" setting on the same topic is the best way to do homeschool all together! Some of the units could be:

Creating a farming business

Beekeeping

Herbalist herbs for health and wellness

Producing the majority of the family's own food (sustainability with produce, dairy, meat)

Going off grid

Family milk cow

Growing a tea garden

Fermenting (kombucha, kefir, pickles, etc.)

Building (shelters, tiny homes, barns, storage buildings)

Raising livestock

Joel Salatin animal diversity (like Polyface farm)

Natural Pest control in gardens

We are so excited to hear more about the homsteading unit studies! We love homeschooling and combining that with learning about homesteading sounds like an excellent idea!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2021 2:56 pm
NChomestead
(@nchomestead)

@fourarrowsfarm I love ALL of these!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2021 6:58 pm
NChomestead
(@nchomestead)

I guess I’m thinking survival skills for some reason (government takeover 😝)  and like the idea of

foraging

purifying water

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/07/2021 7:02 pm
Dhoward
(@dhoward)

We live in the city without a good area to plant a garden. I would love to see what you can grow indoors and how to do it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/07/2021 1:38 am
Dustin
(@drgreathouse)

I think all the ideas are great.  My wife suggested basic sewing. We have been trying to find sewing classes for my daughter but it seems to be a lost art.   

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/08/2021 9:29 pm
Share: